This is a delicious and attractive spin on traditional loxed salmon. It makes a great summer appetizer by itself with crackers, or try it in a fresh garden salad with a simple vinaigrette.
1 Cup grated horseradish root (substitute prepared horseradish in a pinch)
3½ Cups of grated fresh beets (about 3 medium beets)
1 Bunch of fresh dill
1 Cup kosher or coarse salt
¼ Cup sugar
1 Skin-on deboned salmon fillet
- Mix horseradish, beet, salt, and sugar together.
- Place salmon fillet on baking sheet skin side down and spread beet mixture evenly over top. Top with dill.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (about three days). Drain off liquid each day.
- When cured rinse gently with cold water to remove beet mixture and pat dry.
- Slice thinly to serve & enjoy!
Will last 7-10 days in refrigerator (does not freeze well).