Westcoast Resorts executive Chef Glen Gatzke shares this incredible recipe for the Seared Salmon that you have been enjoying at the lodges this season… so now you can create your own 5-star meal in the comfort of your own home!
SEARED SALMON WITH DUNGENESS AND RAZOR CLAM SAFFRON RISOTTO WITH SAUTÉED BROCCOLINI
For the Salmon
- Debone and portion salmon fillet*
- Season with salt and pepper
- Place in oven preheated to 375 and finish to desired degree
* Tip: Haida Wild Salmon comes in pre-portioned packages – order online now.
For the Risotto:
- 1 ½ Cups Carnaroli or Arborio Rice
- 4 Cups Chicken or Fish Stock
- 1 Cup Diced Onion
- 8-10 Saffron Treads
- ½ Cup White Wine
- 1 cup Haida Wild Razor Clams
- Clam Nectar (retained from clams, or canned)
- Dungeness Meat from 1 Cooked Crab
- 3 Tbsp. Chilled Butter
- Heat stock and reserved clam nectar.
- Take a small amount of the heated nectar/stock and infuse with saffron.
- Sweat onion in an open sauce pan then add rice and sauté.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- Add saffron broth and cook into rice before continuing with stock.
- Cook rice adding heated stock a ladle full at a time.
- Add more stock as each ladle full is absorbed stirring frequently.
- When rice is cooked, add razor clams.
- Top with Dungeness crab.
For the Vegetable:
- Sauté fresh Broccolini in olive oil with a bit of chopped garlic.
Top risotto with broccolini and then the salmon fillet. Garnish with fresh parsley. Season to taste and enjoy!